Two pupils were killed after their dormitory caught fire at Kanoni Junior School in the southern Ugandan district of Masaka on Monday morning.
Jamada Wandera, the deputy police commander of the Greater Masaka Region, told Xinhua by phone that two students were killed in the fire before the fire brigade arrived at the scene.
“We received a call from the school at 5:00 a.m. (local time) and immediately dispatched the fire brigade, who managed to put out the fire and rescue all the other children.”
Wandera added that 11 pupils and the dormitory matron were injured. “Those who were injured were taken to the regional public hospital for quick treatment and later transferred to the national referral hospital for further treatment.”
The police commander said the fire might have been caused by a short circuit at a power socket inside the affected dormitory, which was housing 18 lower-class students. The pupils were all under the age of eight.
He appealed to school owners to conduct regular inspections of electrical wiring and installations to avoid similar incidents.