Dozens of suspected gunmen killed in Nigerian military airstrikes

1 min read

Dozens of suspected gunmen were killed in separate air raids by Nigerian troops in the northern part of the country over the weekend, the air force said.


Many other gunmen were severely injured in the brutal air raids aimed at rooting out suspected terrorists from their hideouts in the northern states of Katsina and Borno, said Edward Gabkwet, spokesperson for the Nigerian Air Force, in a statement obtained by Xinhua Monday.


“The streak of successful airstrikes denied terrorists freedom of movement aimed at targeting soft targets, especially innocent civilians,” read the statement.


According to the statement, previous intelligence had revealed that Grazah in the Gwoza Local Government Area of Borno State, previously known as a hideout for suspected terrorists, had been converted into a logistics storage hub and an area for fabricating their improvised explosive devices and other ammunition. Recent military intelligence also revealed significant terror activities consistent with terrorists’ behavior around some makeshift structures at the location.


“These operations carried out deep into terrorist enclaves will continue as these areas are believed to aid their recruitment, training, and nurturing of potential terrorists,” the statement said, adding that attacking their logistics hubs also helps reduce their ability to carry out massive attacks, especially against innocent civilians and the location of troops.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from International