A factory owner was charred to death when a major fire engulfed the furniture and mattresses manufacturing unit on Saturday morning in Akhnoor area here in the city outskirts.
Police said that furniture factory named “Nandini” was engulfed in a wild inferno this morning in village Gandharwan of Akhnoor.
“Goods worth lakhs including furniture and coir mattresses destroyed in the fire while factory owner identified as Rajinder Singh was charred to death,” police added.
They said that fire tenders were immediately pressed into service to douse the flames and the fire was prevented from spreading to nearby locations.
“Initially, short circuit is the cause of fire but we have registered a case and started the investigation,” police added.