Specific accounts, posts withheld in India following Govt orders: X

1 min read

The Indian government has issued “executive orders” asking X (previously Twitter) to withhold certain accounts and posts, the social media giant said on Thursday as several handles supporting the ongoing farmers’ agitation complained about the restrictions.

The social media group, which is already contesting legally the “Indian government’s blocking orders”, said in a statement that it does not agree with these orders and maintains that “freedom of expression should extend to these posts”.

“The Indian government has issued executive orders requiring X to act on specific accounts and posts, subject to potential penalties including significant fines and imprisonment,” it said in the statement posted on its handle.

“In compliance with the orders, we will withhold these accounts and posts in India alone,” it said, adding, “We have also provided the impacted users with notice of these actions in accordance with our policies.”


The statement by X came amidst complaints by several users/handles that their posts have been withheld. Some accounts have even been suspended against the backdrop of the ongoing farmers’ agitation.


X said it disagrees with these actions and maintains that freedom of expression should extend to these posts.
“Consistent with our position, a writ appeal challenging the Indian government’s blocking orders remains pending,” it said.

X, however, did not display the “executive order” citing “legal restrictions” but said “We believe that making them public is essential for transparency. This lack of disclosure can lead to lack of accountability and arbitrary decision making.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from National