Union Home Minister Amit Shah said on Monday that the policy of zero tolerance against narcotics adopted by the central government is showing successful results.
“One of the main pillars of this policy is the whole of government approach of the Modi government, in which the coordination of different departments makes the policy more effective,” he said in a video message on the “International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking.
The Union Home Minister also congratulated all the organisations and people fighting against drugs.
“It is a matter of great pleasure that this time also the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) is organising ‘Nasha Mukt Pakhwada’ at all India level,” he said.
The Union Home Minister said that it is the government’s resolve not to allow narcotics trade in India.
“Nor we will allow drugs to be routed to the world through India. In this campaign against drugs, all the major agencies of the country, especially the “Narcotics Control Bureau” are continuously fighting their war” he said.
Shah said the effect of the comprehensive and coordinated fight against drugs is that where drugs worth Rs.768 crore only were seized in 2006-13, it has increased almost 30 times to Rs 22,000 Crore in 2014-22.
“181 per cent more number of cases have been registered against drug peddlers in comparison to the earlier period,” he said.
This shows the government’s commitment towards a drug-free India.
“We also launched a destruction campaign to prevent the re-use of seized drugs in June 2022, under this campaign around 6 lakh kg of seized narcotics have been destroyed across the country so far” he said.