Iran’s latest peace proposals to the US consist of ending hostilities on all fronts, including Israel’s parallel front with Lebanon, the exit of US forces from areas close to Iran, and war reparations for the destruction caused by the US-Israeli war, state media reported today.
In Tehran’s first comments on the proposal, Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi said Tehran also demanded the collective removal of all economic sanctions, as well as the release of its frozen funds – numbering in tens of billions – along with an end to the US marine blockade on the country, according to IRNA news agency.
The terms, as described in the Iranian reports, didn’t appear much changed from previous offer, which US President Donald Trump rejected as “garbage,” last week.
Trump said on Monday he had put a planned resumption of attacks on Iran after Tehran sent a new peace proposal to Washington, and that there was now a “very good chance” of reaching a deal limiting Iran’s nuclear programme.
However, it is not known if preparations have yet been made for strikes that would mark a renewal of the war Trump started in late February.
Under pressure to reach an accord that would reopen the Strait of Hormuz, Trump has previously expressed hope that a deal was close on ending the conflict, and similarly threatened heavy strikes on Iran if Tehran did not reach a deal.
In a social media post, Trump said that Gulf leaders had requested him to hold off on the attack because “a Deal will be made, which will be very acceptable to the United States of America, as well as all Countries in the Middle East, and beyond.”
Speaking to reporters later on Monday, Trump said that the US would be satisfied if Iranian proposals also include measures to ensure that Tehran does not obtain a nuclear weapon.
“There seems to be a very good chance that they can work something out. If we can do that without bombing the hell out of them, I would be very happy,” Trump told reporters.
A Pakistani source confirmed that Islamabad – which has been playing the role of the mediator – conveyed messages between the sides, since it hosted the only round of peace talks last month, had shared the Iranian proposal with Washington.
The sides “keep changing their goalposts,” the Pakistani source said, adding: “We don’t have much time.”
Although neither side has publicly disclosed any concessions in negotiations that have been stalled for a month, a senior Iranian official suggested on Monday that Washington may be softening some of its demands.

